Monday, May 28, 2012

Día Dos en Madrid


We made it. All night long. In Cat's. Kelli and I agreed that we should ditch that place as soon as we woke up in the morning, so we quickly got ready and headed to, believe it or not, McDonald's! Before you get a puzzled look on your face, let me explain the McDonald's of Madrid. It has free WiFi, two story seating, and a bakery! I enjoyed a delightful smoothie and berry muffin for breakfast and we set out through the streets of Madrid for day two of adventure! The first day, we focused on the Calle Mayor and connecting streets, so on Sunday, we decided to walk the opposite way toward Paseo del Prado to see the Jardín Botánico. The walk was so pleasant, especially early in the morning before the streets were too crowded. I don't think that I have ever seen a more beautiful park in my life. Everything was so green, lush, and quiet in the early morning hours. You could feel God's presence woven through each row of trees and flowers. The park is large, and it wraps around a large lake/pond. Many people were out running and exercising (such active people in Spain!). Kelli and I loved walking around the entire park and taking lots of fun pictures.


 A fun swing in the park!
 So many trees, and the best part was that there were so many different types, all growing together and creating a wonderful shaded pathway.
 A small version of Town Lake!
 Having fun taking pictures
 Serenity

After a long time enjoying the peace of the park, Kelli and I visited the National Library. Outside stood a statue of Miguel de Cervantes, the famous author of Don Quixote de la Mancha, which, being the Spanish major that I am, I was SO excited to see! At this point, Kelli and I were running low on fuel, but since it wasn't quite time to head to our lunch reservation, we enjoyed reading La Plaza de Colón. Finally, it was the moment we had been waiting for...lunch at the oldest restaurant in the world! It is called Botín, and you have to descend a tight spiral staircase to the basement to enjoy a delicious lunch- so cool! I had a chicken and rice dish, and the bread was so tasty, even though we had to pay for it! After a nice and relaxing meal, Kelli and I headed to the train station to return back home to Barcelona. I must say, it was such a fun weekend, and we experienced so much culture! 



 Don Quixote style



No comments:

Post a Comment